The VAS Fall Undergraduate Research Meeting is a research grant proposal competition, which has been held annually since the Fall of 2001. This year’s meeting will be held on Saturday, October 29, 2016 at Virginia Union University in Richmond.
Undergraduate students, with their faculty mentors, interested in participating in this opportunity are required to:
- Submit an Undergraduate Research Grant Applications by the October 1 deadline.
- Attend the Fall Undergraduate Research Meeting on October 29 and present a poster outlining the proposed research.
NOTE: Both the Research Grant Applications and the Poster Presentations will be evaluated to determine the recipients of the research grants.
Five Undergraduate Research Grant Awards of $500 each will be awarded to selected recipients at the conclusion of the Fall Undergraduate Research Meeting. The grant award recipients will also be awarded student membership in the Virginia Academy of Science for 2017 and will be expected to present the results of their research at the 2017 VAS Annual Meeting in May at Virginia Commonwealth University.
- Each grant application must include one or more undergraduate students and one or more faculty mentors.
- Student applicants must be undergraduates enrolled in 2- or 4-year colleges or universities in Virginia.Student applicants do not need to be members of the Virginia Academy of Science.
- Faculty mentors must be faculty members affiliated with 2- or 4-year colleges or universities in Virginia.
- Faculty mentors must be members in good standing (i.e., paid dues for 2016) of the Virginia Academy of Science by the October 1 grant application submission deadline. Current VAS membership status can be confirmed by contacting the VAS Associate Executive Officer at email@example.com. If needed, the VAS Membership Form can be obtained by contacting the VAS Associate Executive Officer at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Each Undergraduate Research Grant Application must include ALL of the following:
- Application Form – to be completed by student applicant(s) in consultation with faculty mentor(s) and signed by the Department Chairman and other institutional representative, if required
- Student Information Form – to be completed by each student applicant
- Mentor Information Form – to be completed by each faculty mentor
- Budget Form – to be completed by student applicant(s) in consultation with faculty mentor(s)
- Project Description Form – to be completed by student applicant(s) in consultation with faculty mentor(s)The Project Description must be limited to no more than 3 single-spaced pages of text (10-12 point font) and must include all components listed below.
- Project Summary (25-50 words) for inclusion in the Fall Meeting Program and possibly in Virginia Scientists and/or Virginia Journal of Science o
- Clear statement of Purpose or Objectives of research o
- Rationale of proposed approach
- Clearly stated Research Plan with procedure(s) described in enough detail to allow assessment of research plan o
- Clear description of the Significance of the research to your specialty
- Relevant Literature (3 to 5 key references only)A limited number of graphs, tables, and/or illustrations may be included if essential; these will not count in the 3 page limit.
- Completed grant application materials must be emailed to Robert Atkinson (email@example.com).
- All of the application forms must be attached to a single email message
- All of the following information must be included in the email subject line: Last Name(s) of Applicant(s) – UG Research Grant ApplicationThe deadline for student applicants to submit grant application materials is Saturday, October 1, 2016 (by midnight).
- Student applicants must attend the 2016 VAS Fall Undergraduate Research Meeting on Saturday October 29, 2016 at Virginia Union University in Richmond and present a Poster outlining their proposed research projects (following the criteria of the Fall Meeting Poster Guidelines).
- Faculty mentors are strongly encouraged to accompany their students to the 2016 VAS Fall Undergraduate Research Meeting on Saturday October 29, 2016 at Virginia Union University in Richmond.
- ALL 2016 Fall Undergraduate Research Meeting attendees (e.g., student applicants, faculty mentors, judges, guests) must register for the meeting ($15 registration fee).Registration information and forms will be provided at a later date.The deadline for registering for the 2016 VAS Fall Undergraduate Research Meeting is Friday October 7, 2016.