Download the 2018 Application (coming soon)
The J. Shelton Horsley Research Award is the highest honor bestowed by the Virginia Academy of Science for original research. This award honors the work of Richmond surgeon, philanthropist, and Academy founder J. Shelton Horsley, M.D., who established the Virginia Academy of Science Research Grants Program in 1928. The Horsley Award recipient is selected through a peer-reviewed competition for an outstanding research paper to be presented at the Annual Meeting of the Virginia Academy of Science. The presentation of a certificate and a monetary award are a highlight of the Annual Meeting. All Academy Members are urged to give serious consideration to submitting a paper for presentation at the 2018 Annual Meeting along with an application for this award.
- Interested investigators are invited to submit the completed paper (double-spaced manuscript in discipline appropriate style, or PDF version of published article) along with the Horsley Research Award Application to Christopher Labosier no later than the due date for presentation titles for the VAS Annual Meeting (Monday, January 29, 2018). Submit items in electronic format to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Each author listed on the completed paper must be a member in good standing of the Academy (i.e., must have paid dues for the 2018). Membership Applications and dues payment should be submitted electronically using the Membership link available above by Monday, January 29, 2018.
- No person will be awarded the prize more than once.
- Papers will be evaluated and judged by the VAS Research Committee.
- The title of the paper, together with the name and affiliation (college, business, etc.) of each author must be submitted electronically using the link to Online Submission of Presentations available using the Meetings link [Annual Spring Meeting>Online Submission of Presentations]. The deadline for online submission of presentation titles and other information is Monday, January 29, 2018. The awardee’s paper must be presented at the VAS Annual Meeting.. The Award will be presented at the VAS Annual Banquet on Thursday, May 24, 2018.
- The paper must represent original research carried out by the author(s). If already published, it must have been published after May 1 of the year preceding the year of the presentation.